Apps for Mature Adults
Whether you need assistance with memory, health monitoring or simply want some fun entertainment, there’s an app for that. Here, five that are especially interesting for an aging population.
1. Designed and developed by a registered nurse, the Pillboxie app notifies you when it’s time to take your next pill. Simply colour code the medication icons, then drag and drop each of your meds into the pillbox graphic to set out your prescription schedule. No network connection is required so you’ll receive the reminder even if you’re off the grid! Available for iPhone and iPad at https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pillboxie/id417367089?mt=8
2. The Fit Brains Trainer app by Rosetta Stone Canada has been ranked the number one education app in over 90 countries—and for good reason. It includes over 60 games (35 in the iOS app and 60+ on the website) to benefit the six major areas of the brain including memory, speed of thinking, concentration, problem-solving, language and visual-spatial. It’s also the only “brain trainer” available that stimulates both emotional and cognitive intelligence (EQ and IQ). Available for monthly subscription on iPhone, iPad and Android at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vivitylabs.android.braintrainer&hl=en
3. The GPS-based Red Panic Button app is just how it’s sound: a button on your phone that lets you communicate quickly with your loved ones and those who can assist you in an emergency. Just push the red button and a panic message containing your address and location will be sent to your designated phone and email list. You can even share you panic message on Twitter! Available for iPhone and iPad at https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/red-panic-button/id422029296?mt=8
4. Not only does the Blood Pressure app monitor your BP and create comprehensive reports and graphs (which your doctor will love), it also helps you determine what, when and how different factors influence your blood pressure. Your doc will also appreciate the daily reminders this app provides. Available for Android at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.szyk.myheart&hl=en
5. It’s no secret that finding your car in a massive parking lot can be hard for even those with the sharpest memories. But as you get older, and your memory is possibly waning, it can be even more of a challenge. Enter Find My Car, an app that helps you locate your vehicle using GPS. Bonus: it even allows you to set an alarm to notify you of the completion of your parking meter. Available for Android and iOS at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wappsstudio.findmycar&hl=en